So I get a call from my Squadron Commander one Sunday...
First of all:
Laura, bless her heart, went to stay with her parents in Lubbock. She wasn't even there a whole day when she was involved in an accident.
She was out riding her bicycle with her dad when this pickup comes up from behind her (doing about 50 mph) and slams into her. She was ejected from the bicycle and landed (thank God) in a soft dirt ditch. She was promptly medivac'd to the hospital where they bandaged her up and put some stitches in her left heel. Apparently, the bicycle tire rim snapped and stabbed her heel through her shoe before she was ejected.
Her dad said all she wanted to know was "Is my BIKE OK?"
Long story short: she doing better now. She is wearing a special boot that keeps her from stretching her achilles tendon (which was slightly frayed). She sent me pictures out here but I don't think she'd want me to share those. Sounds like she'll be in recovery through the holidays so please keep her in your prayers.
Where was I? Oh yeah - that crazy phone call. "You're the wing's pick for a 120 to Baghdad."
It was surreal at first. It took me about two days to actually believe it.
Crazy talk!! One minute, I'm in the kitchen talking about our trip to Tuscon, AZ for the next bicycle ride, the next minute, I'm back out in the desert. Except...this time, I'm learning how to shoot my M-9 "tactically" while in motion because there will be no flying for me on this adventure to the sandbox. Only new and exciting tales will I be telling over the next 4 months. This picture was taken at Baghdad International Airport the day we arrived (125 degrees).
From there, it's a convoy ride across town to the International (or "Green") Zone. That ride used to be very dangerous but they've really secured the path nowadays. It was a quiet ride (except for the constant "yo mama" jokes from the Army guys).
It was Saddam's presidential palace. It's been converted into a temporary U.S. Embassy while the official one is being built. You can tell that this picture was taken a while back: there are no protective concrete barriers or billeting trailers to be seen (they're everywhere around here).
More to come soon!
Jason

2 comments:
Jason I am so glad that you are finally posting! We will keep you in our prayers!!
Nick & Julie
I am so happy to hear you are safe. I've been checking to see if all was ok. Laura, get better and feel good.
Post a Comment